Installation Instructions for Supreme Click Elite Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl flooring installation can be a project for a professional or a do-it-yourselfer. In either case, there are certain precautions that should be taken before the installation of vinyl click flooring. Floors To Your Home offers Supreme Click Vinyl Flooring. This click together floating floor, which comes in a wide range of finishes, adds instant value and beauty to your home.
Before installation, make sure you prepare the subflooring. While you are getting the subfloor ready, store the Supreme Click Elite Luxury Vinyl Flooring in an indoor, climate-controlled location. Ideal temperature is between 65 and 85 degrees.
Since Supreme Click Elite Luxury Vinyl Flooring is a floating floor, it is important to make sure the floor beneath is correctly prepared so as not to leave peaks and valleys in the vinyl click laminate flooring. Not only does this look unsightly, excessive wear can occur in the higher spots.
An important key to remember is to keep all subflooring free of moisture. Wet subfloors are an ideal breeding ground for mold, mildew and fungus. While Supreme Click Elite Vinyl Flooring is waterproof, the warranty on this product does not cover discoloration from mold, flooding, leaking pipes or appliances or water entering through sliding glass doors.
There are several different subfloors you can build your new flooring upon. Here are tips to keep in mind when dealing with wood, concrete and other types of existing floor covering subfloors.
- Should be suspended at least 18 inches above the ground.
- Adequate ventilation must be provided.
- Ground surface of the crawl space must be covered with a suitable vapor barrier.
- All wood and wood composition panels, such as plywood, particleboard, oriented strandboard, flakeboard, and waferboard, are suitable provided that they are smooth, flat, structurally sounds and free of deflection.
- Wood subfloors directly on concrete or installed over sleeper construction are not recommended for the installation of Supreme Click Elite Luxury Vinyl Flooring.
- Should be dry, smooth, and free of dust, solvent, paint, wax, grease, oil, asphalt sealing compounds and other extraneous materials.
- Surface should be hard and dense and free from powder and flaking.
- New slabs must be completely dry and cured; wait at least 6 weeks before installation for newly laid concrete.
- Holes, grooves, expansion joints and other depressions must be filled (try using Latex Underlayment) troweled smooth and feathered with the surrounding surface.
- Concrete floors with a radiant heating system are acceptable, provided the temperature of the surface does not exceed 92 degrees.
Existing Floor Covering
- Ceramic tile is acceptable if it is smoothed out. This can be done with the application of patchwork or a leveling compound.
- When the removal of an existing floor is not an option, the existing flooring should be covered with an embossing leveler.
- Existing sheet vinyl should be overly cushioned and should only consist of one layer.
Once you have conquered your subflooring, begin the installation process. Here are some installation recommendations for Supreme Click Luxury Vinyl Flooring.
- It is important to balance the layout of the planks. Proper planning and layout will prevent mishaps like narrow plank widths at wall junctures. If you determine a layout, you will prevent getting stuck with less than a half plank width or very short pieces.
- Accurately measure the room to determine the center line and adjust the established line to accommodate a balanced layout. Transpose this line about 2 to 3 centimeters away from the starting wall. Upon doing this you will be able to determine if the starter row needs to be cut.
- If the first row of planks does not need to be trimmed in width, it will be necessary to cut off the unsupported tongue so that a clean, solid edge is toward the wall.
- Pull planks from various cartons. Take the time to mix and match the planks so your floor is not subject to shade variation.
Cutting the Vinyl Flooring:
- You can use a utility knife using the score and snap method.
- When fitting around obstacles or into irregular spaces, Supreme Click Elite planks can be cut easily and cleanly using a utility knife with a sharp blade. It is often beneficial to make a cardboard template of the area and transfer the pattern to the plank.
Laying the Flooring:
- Lay the long dimension of the vinyl flooring parallel to the long dimensions of the room.
- Position the first plank so that both the head and the side seam groove is exposed. This will mean that you are installing the product from left to right, across the room.
- Install the second plank in the row by angling the end tongue into the end groove of the first plank. Be sure to maintain an expansion gap approximately 5/16 of an inch away from the wall to accommodate growth.
- Cut a plank to length to start the second row, staggering the end seam at least 6 inches from the first plank.
- Install the first plank into the second row by inserting the long side tongue into the groove of the plank in the first row. This can best be done with a low angle of the plank.
- Install the second plank in the second row by inserting the short end tongue into the previously installed plank groove. Align the plank so that the long side tongue tip is positioned just over the groove lip of the plank in the first row. Working from the end seam, at a low angle, insert the long tongue into the groove of the adjoining plank. Very little force is required to fit the tongue into the groove. You should be able to feel the tongue lock into the groove.
- Continue to do this across the length of the room, by installing planks along the wall in the first row and then aligning the planks in the second row. It is important to keep these two rows straight and square; they are the foundation for the rest of the installation.
- Cut the last plank in the first row to fit approximately 5/16 of an inch short of the ending wall in the room.
- Continue installing planks row by row. Maintain a 5/16 of an inch gap at all fixed vertical surfaces. Make sure all planks are fully engaged in the locking mechanism. If slight gapping is noticeable, you can use a scrap of flooring and tapping block to tap it closed.
- When fitting under door casings, the flexibility and low angle of connection of the Supreme Click Elite Flooring becomes evident. If necessary, you can use a flat pull bar or a last board puller to assist in locking the planks.
Protecting your Click Viny lFlooring:
- Protect all exposed edges of the Supreme Click Elite Luxury Vinyl by installing wall molding or transition strips. Use caution to prevent the fasteners from securing the planks to the subfloor.
- Protect the flooring from direct sunlight.
- Use area rugs near sinks and doors. Be sure to move the rugs to prevent discoloration.
- Ask people to remove their shoes to prevent scratches.